~Garry L. Landreth
Play Therapy is a Psychotherapeutic approach used with children to promote a safe environment where they can communicate through toys to explore emotionally significant experiences. The goal is for a child to heal through the power of play by using fantasy as a way to create new endings ultimately helping them to cope.
We utilize Play Therapy because a child’s verbal skills and development trail behind their cognitive development; therefore play is how they can effectively communicate and work through their struggles.
Benefits of Play Therapy
- Allows children to explore real life experiences
- Allows children to learn & express their emotions
- Allows children to test limits
- Provides children with opportunities for learning how to cope
- Provides a safe and nurturing environment for children to express themselves freely.